Postgraduate studies in Canada
Master’s degree in Canada is one of those degrees that has many applicants in the world and every year many students from all over the world enter Canada to continue their postgraduate studies.
Advantages of postgraduate studies in Canada
- Benefiting from the high quality of education
- Affordable tuition compared to other western countries
- Receive a globally recognized degree
- The possibility of receiving scholarships in research-oriented fields
- The possibility of working after studying and obtaining permanent residence in Canada
Master’s education system in Canada
The duration of postgraduate studies in Canada is 1 to 2 years. The master level usually includes 45 to 60 study units. University majors at the master’s level are offered as follows:
In the course-based course, you either take only one lesson or you have to do a project in addition to the lessons at the end of the course. In this course, you don’t need to specify a tutor or supervisor in advance.
In this course, in addition to the course unit, at the end of the course, you must submit a research thesis under the supervision of your supervisor. A thesis is much broader than a project and usually works on an aspect of a specific topic that has not been researched before. To be admitted to these courses, a professor or supervisor from the university must accept you as a student.
Online Masters in Canada
Master’s studies in Canada are possible in most universities both on-campus and online. But note that in order to receive a Canadian student visa , your course of study must be full-time.
During the Covid-19 disease and the closure of Canadian universities, it became possible to study online for face-to-face and full-time courses. Therefore, students were able to take online courses in their own country without having any problems getting their student visas.
Of course, this condition was temporary and now it is possible to study in Canada again in person.
Admission to master’s degree in Canada
In order to apply for a master’s degree in Canada, after providing the necessary documents for each field and university, it is time to apply and get admission. Most Canadian universities accept students at the master’s level.
Procedures for admission to graduate studies in Canada
1. First, enter the university website and create an account in the Apply section of the graduate education department.
2. Enter your personal information including name and surname, address, phone number, and other requested information.
3. Specify the name of the course and academic semester.
4. Enter your educational background, employment, research work (if applicable) and language score.
5. Enter the information of two or three of your professors along with their academic email.
6. If possible, upload all the required documents in the application.
7. At the end, enter your bank card information and submit the application.
8. After submitting the application, you will receive an application number. Writing this number is necessary for correspondence with the university.
9. Wait for the review of the application and its result.
10. After receiving the acceptance letter, according to the university’s request, you must mail the official translation of your degree and transcripts from the Iranian university to the Canadian university by a certain deadline.
Masters Scholarship in Canada
There is a lower chance of getting a Canadian scholarship in the master’s degree than in the doctoral degree, but it is possible.
Scholarships are usually offered to students through government institutions, private organizations and Canadian universities.
Canadian government scholarship
There are types of Canadian government scholarships that are mostly awarded to native students of this country. But there are also types that include both domestic students and foreign students, such as the Ontario government scholarship.
- Government of Ontario Scholarship (Ontario Graduate Scholarship)
This scholarship includes students who have received admission from one of the universities of the province of Ontario at the postgraduate level and in any field. Its amount is 10,000 thousand dollars for two consecutive semesters and 15,000 thousand dollars for three semesters of continuous education.
Canadian university scholarship
Some of the scholarships offered by Canadian universities to postgraduate students or
- It is based on the student’s academic merit and is granted to them by the university, such as awards (Award Excellence), or entrance scholarships. To receive these types of scholarships, there is no need to apply separately and they are provided automatically by the university.
- Or from the position of the supervisor, the academic fund is awarded as a teaching assistant or research assistant . Of course, if you are accepted in research-oriented fields, you will be included in these types of scholarships.
The best postgraduate universities in Canada 2023
According to the QS ranking in 2023, the list of top universities for master’s studies in Canada is as follows:
|University name||National rank||Global ranking|
|University of Toronto||1||26|
|University of British Columbia||3||46|
|University of Montreal||4||111|
|University of Alberta||5||126|
|University of Waterloo||7||149|
|University of Ottawa||9||230|
|University of Calgary||10||235|
|Simon Fraser University||14||298|
|University of Manitoba||15||650-601|
Student work while studying for a master’s degree in Canada
As a postgraduate student in Canada, you are allowed to work on-campus or off-campus while studying.
Student work conditions during postgraduate studies in Canada
- Have a valid study visa.
- Be a full-time student.
- You are allowed to work after starting your studies and not before.
- You are allowed to work 20 hours a week during your studies.
- You are allowed to work full-time and up to 44 hours a week on holidays such as official holidays or holidays between two semesters.
- If your field of study does not have an internship or co-op, you do not need a work permit to work while studying.
- If your field of study has an internship or co-op course as part of the study program and you have to go through an internship course, you must get a co-op work permit. In this case, you are allowed to work full time and 44 hours a week during the internship period.
Master’s student income in Canada
Depending on what you do on campus or off campus in Canada, you can usually earn between $14 and $25 per hour. If you do not have a scholarship, it is better that you have already provided your tuition fees. Student work income in Canada covers most of your living expenses as a student.
Residence after Master’s studies in Canada
If you enter Canada with a student visa for a postgraduate degree, after completing your studies, you have the possibility to stay and work in Canada and eventually receive Canadian permanent residency.
In order to be able to work in Canada after completing your studies, you must obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). The type of your field and work should be suitable for Canadian residency programs.